Monday, June 11, 2007

If You Should Get Lost Along the Way...


The word tackling has a new-founded relevance when talking about my perspective on writing for a web comic. Simply put, its one of the most difficult mediums I have attempted writing. It has more in common with dramatic writing (for the screen and stage) than with what I am comfortable with: short stories and poetry. Granted, they can relate.

Its like being locked in a room with a group of people after you've all said stupid things, and having to deal with the tension and confrontation.

My tension being with dialog, my nemesis. Something I have to learn to coexist with.

One of the reasons I am doing this is to expand as a writer, and to be able to practice collaborating with friends on something creative. Actually, going beyond the talking process and being constructive. My biggest fear is that I'll write myself into a corner and have this web comic be too much like other web comics. I've tried to prevent this by keeping my exposure to them, at a minimal.

I want to avoid strictly parody because at this point, it feels overdone. It's as tiring as the 1-2-Punch formula, or "flavor of the week" pop-culture references. I want it to seem like a graphic novel that happens to be on the internet. Something that grows on you as you read, that you're able to relate to, and empathize with.

Where every panel matters
in some shape or another.

I want to record our lives in the vein of our generation as I/we see it. Maybe encompassing that coming-of-age storytelling that reveals a kind of truth.

I'm hoping that I come somewhere close in my intentions, and that I'm able to help somebody through their day. Either by, expressing something personal that they can't--be it through words or art, or forcing them to crack a grin.

I will write for me and everyone who's willing to come along.

~ Corrick

2 comments:

Genevieve Tsai said...

Hahahah!! Oh I trust the both of you will entertain and fulfill many readers. I literally wake up in my loincloth, crusty-eyed, and am immediately slapped awake with the glow of giddy laughter once I sit down to read your emails. Here's to you guys *raises a glass of chocolate milk*, saving the day with words and art, one meaningful panel at a time. No Penny Arcade rip-offs shall be found here! See? I'm already a fan.

Hookah said...

Nothing but class with you. *tinks a chocolate milk glass, drinks it with loud gulps that leaves a tasty mustache* You'll be our biggest fan, and wherever we end up--we're taking you with us! *wide-eyed grin*